[scribus] [scribus-dev] Help !

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jul 15 22:38:40 UTC 2011

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 08:27:48 pm Gregory Pittman
wrote:
tc. etc.

> HI Marc,
>
> 1. Best to send these things to the regular User mail
list (see the list
> of recipients)
>
> 2. You should be able to get the rc5 1.4.0, which can
load this file.
> There are still a few bugs, but probably not show
stoppers for you.

> 3. Another work around is to save page content to the
Scrapbook, then go
> to an older version in the 1.3.5 series, and pull them
in there. This
> uses the same Scrapbook.
>
> Greg

Superior advice from one of the experts. As a non-expert I
offer the additional:

Another path:
Take your latest pdf  and save it as text from Acrobat
Reader.  This at least gives you a starting point.

Yet another path:
Take your current sla file and import it into the
development version from svn, version 1.5.0. Yes it will
have bugs but hopefully different ones than 1.4.0.RC5.

I find it easier to work with any software on Linux. And I
have scripts that download and compile both 1.4.0 and
1.5.0 from svn each night. I don't know if the version
1.4.0RC5 is updated daily on the web page. If so you could
try downloading it again and see if some your demons have
disappeared. My version of Scribus 1.4.0 RC5 was updated
yesterday and compiled last night. The splash screen sitll
says June 18 but I know that the software folks sometimes
don't update the splash screen every time they make a
minor change in the software.

I have also discovered that there are tricks that keep
certain crash creators at bay. For example the "Default
Paragraph Style" must be in a position superior to all
other paragraph styles in the hierarchy of styles. So when
creating a new paragraph style the line marked "Based on"
must be filled with a value. If you take the default
(blank) value of this field then that style becomes
superior to the "Default Paragraph Style" and a crash is
inevitable.

This is not in any manual (I looked.) Once I fixed my
styles per the above I found 1.4.0 to be an acceptable
product for my current book.

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: