[scribus] French doc

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jul 15 16:38:01 UTC 2011

On Friday, July 15, 2011 10:35:36 am a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
> >> short question: is there any way to get the official
manual under a real
> >> and recognized free license which:
> >>
> >> - could be recognized as such by debian / ubuntu (and
we then would have
> >> the doc automatically installed for many of our
users!).

> >> - may stimulate more people to get involved in
translating and updating
> >> the doc.
> >>
> >> personally, i tend not to add a word to it, because
its license is not
> >> compatible with the ones used in the other contexts i
contribute.

> > Why should we free up the license so anyone can print
it out and sell it?

> some questions addressed to the authors of the book:
>

> what's the problem if anyone can print it out and sell
it?

> do you really think that somebody would print it out and
sell it?
> why hasn't anybody asked you (plural) for the rights to
commercially
> print it? (as far as i know...)
>
> don't you think that if somebody manages to do some real
money by
> professionally printing the content of the online help,
he will have put
> much money and energy in promoting his book? (and thus
his "profit"
> would be justified?)
>
> has anybody had any advantage from the restrictions on
the use of the
> online help?
>
> don't you think that if somebody manages to make money
by printing it,
> the whole community will profit from it?
>

> my proposition: put it under CC-BY-SA. if anybody
manages to print it,
> you can scrap his content and reprint it yourself, too
(and integrate
> his changes in your copy) or make an even better online
help in scribus.

> this is the license used for the wiki.
> this is a license which is compatible with the debian
free software
> polices.
>
> and well, i'm not just asking for the fun of doing so...
> i notice that the authors struggle in keeping the help
up to date, and
> it's even harder to keep up to date (or even create)
translation of the
> help.
> and i wonder if choosing a more liberal license would
help...

> have a nice evening!
> a.l.e

I have one book on my shelf in re. Inkscape, consisting of
all free articles, but while it is a worthy effort it does
not rival the other books on Inkscape on my shelf.

In my personal computing I get all my software, including
the OS, free. I pay money for hardware. And I pay money
for books. Sometimes I buy an older book whose content is
now free on line. It is easier to read a perfect bound
book than the contents of a ring binder full of printout.

I use only free software but I pay for the books that tell
me how to use that free software. This may seem illogical
but as a practical matter it is the most sensible way to
proceed. There is a commercial software author who now
gives away his program but still sells consultant services
on his product. I know another free software app where the
manual and one year's free consultancy cost $100!

I could wish that "Scribus, the Official Manual" was a bit
cheaper but I really wish that it was more up to date. I
use both it and the "Scribus 1.3.5 Beginners Guide all the
time. And I don't begrudge the authors the few dollars
each costs. It's a business expense after all.

For a long time now I have lived off my writing talents as
well as my computer skills (yes, I had such skills once.)
I believe the laborer is worthy of his hire. My little e-
book "Creating Book Covers with Scribus" brings in a few
dollars each month or two. Now I am working on a print
book successor to it.

I suspect most of the authors of the above mentioned works
have other sources of income. Perhaps they work in the
computer industry, perhaps they teach, perhaps they
receive a pension as I do. But if they also put in time
and effort on a book length product they have a right to
expect compensation. Compensation also helps motivate
things such as a French Scribus manual.

The Wiki has the virtue of being up date in some parts at
least and is of course free. But the nature of wikis is
that they are somehat disorganized. Knowing what is in the
wiki and where it is becomes an art form all by itself.
And some of the articles are no longer current. A properly
organized and properly indexed book with a chief author is
a better guide. To produce such a book that is still up to
date is quite a challenge. The most recent authoritative
book is by Gemy and it deals with Scribus 1.3.5.

I have a two shelf bookcase within reach which holds most
of my professional books on authoring, publishing,
marketing, programming and the like. That bookcase and
the overflow on my desk hold roughly 94 titles, three on
Scribus alone. I bought most of them (a few were review
copies.)

Now I must close and write my column. It and its companion
in another paper bring in $40 each week. As authors go I
am very cheap but not free!

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters