[scribus] French doc

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Jul 15 14:35:36 UTC 2011

hi

>> short question: is there any way to get the official manual under a real and recognized free license which:
>>
>> - could be recognized as such by debian / ubuntu (and we then would have the doc automatically installed for many of our users!).
>>
>> - may stimulate more people to get involved in translating and updating the doc.
>>
>> personally, i tend not to add a word to it, because its license is not compatible with the ones used in the other contexts i contribute.
>>
> Why should we free up the license so anyone can print it out and sell it?

some questions addressed to the authors of the book:

what's the problem if anyone can print it out and sell it?

do you really think that somebody would print it out and sell it?
why hasn't anybody asked you (plural) for the rights to commercially
print it? (as far as i know...)

don't you think that if somebody manages to do some real money by
professionally printing the content of the online help, he will have put
much money and energy in promoting his book? (and thus his "profit"
would be justified?)

has anybody had any advantage from the restrictions on the use of the
online help?

don't you think that if somebody manages to make money by printing it,
the whole community will profit from it?

my proposition: put it under CC-BY-SA. if anybody manages to print it,
you can scrap his content and reprint it yourself, too (and integrate
his changes in your copy) or make an even better online help in scribus.

this is the license used for the wiki.
this is a license which is compatible with the debian free software polices.

and well, i'm not just asking for the fun of doing so...
i notice that the authors struggle in keeping the help up to date, and
it's even harder to keep up to date (or even create) translation of the
help.
and i wonder if choosing a more liberal license would help...

have a nice evening!
a.l.e