[scribus] Buggy Software!

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Tue Jul 12 05:54:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com> wrote:

> > btw, why the hell are you linking to a copy of a fully layouted text
> > frame?
>
> BECAUSE it's fully "layouted" and only needs different text.  Why go
> through all the custom formatting again?  Easier to copy the frame and
> change the text.  And no, a style doesn't suffice because there are multiple
> styles and customizations on top of the styles.
>
> > and since you are a programmer (at least i think you are
> > one...)
>
> CAD engineer at a major semi-conductor manufacturing company.  I write code
> to automate semi-conductor chip layout and verification.  And let me tell
> you - my code does not crash - ever.  Errors are intercepted and handled,
> either by user or developer, but there is no raw unhandled code crash.
>
> > you may think to contribute some fixes!
> > we badly need developers contributing mac specific code!
>
> Sure, if the code is written in DF2 Skill or Skill++.
>

> I have no dog in this fight, but I am curious why you are using free
software when you obviously have a preference for expensive, commercial,
proprietary software and, working for such a major company, I would guess
you have the budget to afford it.

Also, I suspect what you are doing is scripting a CAD system rather than
programming one.  Believe it or not, there is a big difference.

The majority of us like the fact that Scribus is free and open source and
that is why we use it.  We also understand the paradigm differences between
expectations of commercially developed, proprietary software and the open
source community developed software.

Frankly, Scribus does a grand job in handling my 80 page magazine so while
there are things that I wish worked differently, I find ways to do what I
want within it's capabilities.  I've used it for a year now rather than
Adobe's InDesign and am quite happy with the choice.

Sounds like Adobe may be the choice you should have made?  I certainly
understand that there are those who prefer to purchase an item rather than
be involved in a competitive item's development.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
editor at sera.org