[scribus] Determining the revision of Scribus svn.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jul 9 01:53:51 UTC 2011

On Friday, July 08, 2011 05:06:21 pm a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
> > > It would be nice if it were added automagically to
the
> > > Splash Screen :<).
> >
> > er
> >

> > svn info | grep Revision
>
> you're not funny.
>
> http://imgbin.org/index.php?page=image&id=4416

I am not suggesting the code on the splash screen, I am of
course suggesting the information provided by the code.
There is a complicated string of letters that few of us can
understand, and there is a single number that says this
revision is newer than that earlier revision with a lower
number.

For more than a year we have had development versions that
were in fact the de facto operational version for most of
us. The latest Scribus books refer to either 1.3.5 or
1.3.9, allegedly development versions. Now we have 1.4.0
RC5 which keeps getting refined but is again a de facto
production version. All I asked for was the number that
shows that progress is being made. Craig has provided an
easier path to that number.

Getting to a new production version seems to be an
asymptotic function. I suggest we declare 1.4.0 RC5
(current version thereof) to be 1.4.0, a production
version, tomorrow, and make 1.4.1 the target for any future
changes to that series of Scribus. Today 1.3.3.14 is still
the "official" production version and that becomes more
unrealistic every day.

The perfect has become the enemy of the good.

--
John Culleton