[scribus] story editor and anchoring

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Thu Jul 7 23:41:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Adrienne Carmack <adrienne.carmack at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I'm completely new to desktop publishing but was actually able to
> produce a pretty good document for my first try! I have a couple of
> questions that I've not been able to find the answers to.
>
> 1. As I was using story editor to apply styles, while clicking between
> that and my original word processing document, when I clicked back
> into story editor, it kept jumping back to the top of it. I had to
> scroll back down to where I was virtually every time. Is there a
> secret of where to click in story editor to keep it from jumping back
> to the top?
>
> 2. How do you anchor text boxes or image boxes to text?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Adrienne

I going to attempt to answer this though I've only been using Scribus for a
bit over a year, myself.  However, the answers, I believe, are short and
simple.

First, the characteristic of the Story Editor to which you refer is as it
functions.  There is a work around, however.  Use the button to Update the
Story Editor text without closing and just leave it open until you are
through editing that article or text block.  You did not say which operating
system you are using, but I think it will work the same in any.  When you
finally complete the text and formatting you want in the Story Editor, then
you may save and close it with the green check mark button.  However, while
it is open, you may still revert back to the page the text frame is on and
see your changes after you hit the update WITHOUT closing button.

Second, the only way I know to anchor a text frame or an image frame to
another text frame is to instantiate either a text frame or image frame
INSIDE a larger text frame.  I do this on most of my magazine pages by
making the entire page a text frame and putting smaller text frames or image
frames within the larger frame.  If there is a better way, I'd love to learn
about it.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*