[scribus] pdf/x-1a in scribus

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sat Jul 2 16:35:20 UTC 2011

hi john,

> I suggest that activating Color Management be the default
> in future versions of Scribus 1.5.0.

i think that i understand the reasons why you suggest this (and those
reasons are not that bad... :-), but i still let the user enable
the color management through a conscious action.

imo, it does not do any good do just enable a random profile...
(a standard profile, is just static randomness :-)

somehow i imagine the typical scribus user as somebody who is working
on a laptop at different places and prints a few copies of his work on
a laser printer at home or at the office.
the monitor is not calibrated and no profile is available for the
printer (and the images used are also from different sources and
without an embedded profile).

in my eyes, in such a situation enabling the color management does not
give any advantage.

on the other side, we have the ones who have a calibrated monitor, a
controlled workspace and got the profiles for the printers they use.
those folks will correctly setup their color management... and they may
even be happy to get a notice that their producing a pdf without having
enabled the color management! :-)

all in all: i think that the current situation is mostly ok (with the
exception where the creation of a pdf is made harder just because the
selected version expects color management to be activated... we really
should warn and give a one click solution for such cases...)

just some thoughts...
a.l.e
voilà,