[scribus] Compare.pdf > embedding fonts from eps

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 00:27:24 CET 2011

On 1/29/2011 2:29 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/29/2011 12:59 PM, Barry McKenna wrote:
>>
>> Again, perhaps it something particular to how my system
>> interprets pdfs
>> and how it converts sla to pdf.
>
> When you export to pdf, go to the tab marked Fonts and tell
> Scribus to embed all fonts. HTH, HAND.

I participated in a lengthy review of this issue on the
Mantis site. The Fonts tab never shows anything on my
Windows 2000/sp4 Scribus 1.3.9 system when exporting only
.eps files. However, if I do check the "Embed PDF..." box on
the Pdf General (Main) tab, then the fonts used to form the
.sla files with the .eps files are embedded in the pdf and
listed as such in Acrobat Reader's File > Properties > Font
page after export to .pdf.

The answer I received from that comment was the following:

"The processing is done using a third party library and we
have no knowledge of the fonts an imported eps/pdf may embed
or not. Even if we had, the embedding of fonts coming from
those imported eps/pdf would probably not be a user choice."

I didn't totally understand that (and I have no knowledge if
on other types of systems users can see their fonts in that
tab when exporting .eps files), but what was most important
was that I was given the help that I needed to get my fonts
embedded with the "Embed PDF..." box on the Pdf General
(Main) tab: see posting "Eps: solving my Windows/Scribus
issue" on Jan 23 (PST).

When I'm not exporting eps files to pdf, or at least not
just eps files, i.e., text and svg graphics, then that tab
will show all of the fonts in my .sla files exporting to pdf.

Barry McKenna