[scribus] Eps opened directly is still rasterized, not vector

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Wed Jan 19 00:53:42 CET 2011

W/Scribus v1.39, W2k/Sp4

I am generating eps files from my own developed software by
printing as file to Acrobat Distiller 3.0.

The files open perfectly in GSView 4.8 w/GS 8.63 and print
directly from GSView in a perfect quality match to output
from my original software directly to my HP Laserjet 1018.

Also, saving the file opened in GSView 4.8 w/GS 8.63 to a
pdf with GSView's pdfwrite and then printing from that pdf
(pdfwrite set to 720dpi) results in a perfect quality match
to the output from my original software to my HP Laserjet
1018 and with the output printing directly from GSView.

Opening the same eps file directly to Scribus w/File > Open,
i.e., not to a frame, and saving that to a pdf and then
printing results in a _rasterized_ output, not vector, even
when I follow the explict instruction from The Official
Manual, section 3.18.2.2, p.126. at both 300dpi and 720 dpi
export to pdf.

These files are simple 1 pixel lines in a type of graph with
small amounts of text (unicode font).

Somehow I had expected that the development path of Scribus
- an excellent product that I have been following for a
number of years - would result in comparable output to the
direct use of GSView/GS since Scribus uses GS.

Are the developers aware of this discrepancy and if so are
there current plans to improve eps as vector output?

By the way, my complements on svg output: Scribus is the
only software that handles my W3C validated svg graphics
with non-unicode text. (can't handle the unicode text yet).

Best wishes,
Barry McKenna