[scribus] need PDF help or alternate suggestions

Pam daMonium jnkml44105 at rocketmail.com
Sun Jan 16 18:41:12 CET 2011

Dumb-bunny alert:

Someone mentioned recently the Scribus didn't turn out to be as intuitive as they thought it was. I echo that sentiment.

I have a graphics background from decades ago - I can draw, paint, airbrush, sort-of photograph, silkscreen, design, layout, storyboard, and produce a mechanical and a comp. But desktop publishing (DTP) is new to me. I made a family newsletter: 2 sheets equaling four pages after folding. I need to print a batch to mail and I want to post a version on Issu or somewhere similar.

Pre-flight indicates that some images are low resolution, but I can't help that as I can only use what people send me. I told it to ignore errors. I've tried PDFing in 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5. (It won't let me try in PDF/X-3 - the 'Save' button is greyed-out.)

BUT, I get the same results:

When I click on the completed PDF file, a window opens that says "Insufficicent data for an image." and I find no banner, many missing textboxes, no photos, and some missing overlapping textboxes. All the color blocks I've inserted to highlight text are there (set to bottom level), and are overlapped with some visible text boxes, so it's not JUST an overlap problem.

I obviously don't understand Scribus OR PDFing. Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong? Is attempting to produce PDFs at all the way I need to go or do you have other suggestions? Do I need to delete and start over? Is Scribus too advanced for someone with no script-writing skills who frequently has to look up terms members use in their e-mail posts? Word processing documents are totally inadequate to the task and graphic programs are difficult to massage into doing what I want, so I was thrilled to find Scribus.

I appreciate your time.