[scribus] WTactis and Scribus struggle

Lukasz Jastrzebski luke.jastrzebski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:59:40 CET 2011

Gregory!
I indeed have my pressure raised from time to time. Don't worry, it was not
the case.

I'm calm, happy person. Not furious, not angry, not mindless. Not native
English speaker as well. Try to imagine me that way.

I spent something like a month, at least 30 hours, investigating various
tools that could be used for Wtactics (and provide for our players) to make
good-looking cards. And most of it was spent face to face with Scribus.
First step was eliminating Inkscape, which we make various things in, as it
is totally not suitable for what printing industry needs (no CMYK editing
features, no grained PDF export). Also Gimp was no-go for us, due to the
fact that working with CMYK plugins or PDF export equals rasterizing text
there and lengthy handcrafting each card. So I left with LaTeX and Scribus.
Both "should work" theoretically. And LaTeX will never be easy for potential
contributors or indie developers.

What you wrote, apart from what I asked not to write, because I know that
already, is to use examples from Advanced Drop Caps article.

I saw that, I read it twice long time ago, when designing card text styles.
There is no way for using two text frames for one paragraph and calling it
simple or effective. Also, please note that I did what I wanted to do in a
single text frame. It just makes a need for manual line break followed by
tabulator (which is lame, makes a little mess, but unlike first
line indentation is tweakable from under properties palette).
Why I wrote, is that when you try to do that in the way I would describe as
effective, drop cap behaves like an alien monolith. All the fields are ready
for input, character style is applied, yet it remains untouched. Which is a
bug I already have seen in Mantis.

Cheers,
Luke