[scribus] Spell check

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jan 8 16:20:09 CET 2011

On Friday 07 January 2011 12:42:56 Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 12:33 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:36:44 -0500
> >
> > Gregory Pittman<gregp_ky at yahoo.com>  dijo:
> >> AFAIK, I have all the right bits on Fedora 14, and it works
> >> there much like the Ubuntu users are saying -- brings up a
> >> dialog that mostly just sits there. If you poke at it, you may
> >> come up with various erroneous suggestions for things
> >> misspelled, missing other obvious spelling errors.
> >
> > I have 1.3.9 on Fedora 14, x86_64, and I can't even find the
> > spell checker. I looked all over, but apparently it's not there.
> > I installed it from the testing repo before Fedora put it into
> > the regular repos. But I always apply all updates every couple of
> > days.
> >
> > Note that I do all my spell checking in OOo before placing the
> > text in Scribus, so it's not a big deal to me. I just thought I
> > might help with bug testing.
> >
> > Is it a separate package? If so, where do I get it, because I
> > have installed all the x86_64 packages listed in Yumex. If not,
> > where did you hide the button?
>
> this is an option when you are compiling.
>
> I find that in my Fedora standard 1.3.9 I still have the option, so
> it must depend on whether you have aspell on your system.
>
> Greg

The two linux programs, ispell and aspell, can be used in stand alone
fashion on your text before you import it. I use ispell, mostly from
habit.

The text editor GVim (part of Vim distro) also has a spell checker
that works like a word processor, i.e. misspelled words are
underlined. For long text documents ispell is much more efficient. It
stops at each misspelled word and offers you choices. You can also add
a new word to the dictionary on the fly.

Slackware comes with aspell and ispell. Don't know about the various
Debian derivatives (Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix etc.) Probably
you have to do an apt-get or something.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: