[scribus] Spell check

Peter Linnell plinnell at scribus.info
Fri Jan 7 00:38:33 CET 2011

On 01/07/2011 12:20 AM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Peter Linnell <plinnell at scribus.info> wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/2011 10:41 PM, Lisa Charles wrote:
>>> I'm using Scribus 1.3.9 - is there a spell checker?You need to give us
>> more info. What platform/OS ? Windows, OSX, Linux ?
>>
>> It is not automatic, but there is one if the right bits are installed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
>>

> Why keep us in suspense?  Why not just tell all of us (most of whom
> desperately need a spell checker) what those "right bits" are?

Well it is a bit complicated..

On Windows, the spell checker libraries have a problem we have not yet
sorted out, so on Windows we cannot provide it in the installer yet.

On linux, *if* the packager/distribution follows our packaging
guidelines it will get installed automatically - if you are using 1.3.5
or newer. I know for certain it is included in all openSUSE rpms and the
ones I provide for Fedora and Mandriva.

On OSX, we provide the spell check functionality in our provided
bundles, but for some reason we have not solved some cosmetic issues in
the way it displays the words to the users.

On OS/2, I do not know at all if the spell checker works.

Sorry for keeping you all in suspense...

Peter