[scribus] Using Scribus for novels and short stories

Jean-Louis Cordonnier jlcord2 at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 6 20:07:32 CET 2011

Le 06/01/2011 15:38, LORN MACINTYRE a écrit :
> Dear Jean-Louis,
>
> Thanks for this advice about LaTex being preferable to Scribus for my purposes.
> How does the transfer from Word XP work?
I dont use Word XP. But OpenOffice can open all word documents (*.doc
and *.docx)
> Do the files go straight into LaTex or via Open Office?
When you export a doc file or odt file with Oo you get a *.tex file.
Then open it with a text editor (Notepad++ or Gvim or others with syntax
coloration) or better with texmaker or mewa
http://www.meshwalk.com/latexeditor/
> Will headers and footers (running titles and page numbers) be preserved?
Very easy to set ; on line to say "I need page numbers". One for style
(arabic, or others like v vii ix (in the beggining introduction or so)
> What do I do about kerning?
I presume nothing. Latex handles very welle with ligature (like fi or
ffi and son on)
> Can I transfer pages into PDF format?
Yes.
> Where is the best place on the Web for a tutorial on LaTex?
to begin with http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Absolute_Beginners
This (html page in frech, but tuto in english (164 pages)

The easiest way : I send you an example file (2 attached file : tex
source ; resulting pdf) I took one of my file and crate a "book ; ten
minutes as I said)