[scribus] Using Scribus for novels

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 15:29:15 CET 2011

On 01/06/2011 03:15 AM, LORN MACINTYRE wrote:
> I also have to create Master Pages, to cover page numbering and the running
> title header. It has been suggested to me that one Master Page will suffice for
> all first pages in a chapter, covering all chapters, and that a second Master
> Page will cover all subsequent pages in all chapters. Is this the case?

Just to be sure you're clear, you will need sets of right and left
Master Pages, to account for difference in placement in the margins and
page numbering.

If you want to show some headers or other information specific to
chapters, then make copies of these Master Pages and modify as needed.

> It would seem that once I have mastered the technique of editing one chapter,
> the same technique can be applied to the remaining 19 chapters, and that what
> will require to be done thereafter is to link them in sequence, pagination-wise,
> and then prepare a  file of single sequential pages for the printer.

The other thing to mention is the potential need to add blank pages to
make sure your sequences work out flawlessly. Sometimes the first pages
of chapters are made to always be right pages. Using the Double-Sided
layout (which just really places the individual pages on screen in their
right or left positions) can help you make sure the chapters meld
together properly.

There are various tools such as pdftk for merging your PDF chapters
together for the final PDF.

I would also add that doing a project like this requires a lot of
proofreading at all stages, the text content, the Scribus layout, the
PDF chapters, and the final combined PDF.

Greg