[scribus] Some bugs fixes deserve more publicity!

mrdocs mrdocs at scribus.info
Tue Jan 4 16:35:52 CET 2011

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 01:40:40 Louis Desjardins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following bug
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1908
> was reported on 05-Apr-22 08:35 and resolved in December 2010... 4 months
> short of 6 years later...
>
> The status has been turned to "closed" in no time after the bug was fixed
> while there are a lot of bugs that are "Resolved" and that remain into that
> status for months.
>
> I suggest that we don’t change the status of a bug so quickly because by
> default closed bugs don’t show up in the list...
>
> We need people to know that such a long-time bug has been solved!
>
> So I can only suggest that we give a resolved bug a few weeks before it is
> turned to closed.
>
> People need to have the time to rejoy!
>
> Many thanks to Andreas for fixing this particularly annoying bug.
>
> Louis
> -------------- next part --------------

Hi,

The fact that there are many resolved, but unclosed bugs is simply a matter of
lack of managment up to now. I have been regression testing some of these bugs
against all the current development versions to ensure the fixes do not
interfere or cause other problems for future releases.

However, we actually want to close all really resolved bugs, so they show up
in the change logs here: http://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php It is a
long page, but you can click on the particular version of Scribus and you can
see the changes within a specific version.

Leaving bugs in a resolved but unclosed state should only be done when a fix
is applied, but neither the original reporter or someone else has tested that
the bug is really indeed fixed.

To do otherwise it imposes more work screening and fixing bugs for all of us
working on bugs, testing bugs and looking to see what user enancements might
be added. We currently have way too many bugs in an open unresolved state, but
with the release of 1.4, we will see possibly a large number of old bugs
resolved as fixed and close them.

I hope the above is a sensible explanation for the current bug tracker
situation.

Yes, a big tip of the cap to Andreas Vox for fixing the "dead keys" bug. I was
one we have struggled with for a long time.

Cheers,

Peter