[scribus] Bleed & crop marks

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Jan 2 17:04:01 CET 2011

On Sunday 02 January 2011 08:55:01 Jim Ford wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 3:00 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Still, it does embarrass me when an English speaker tries to
> > force English on others. The only thing special about English is
> > that its speakers have a lot of financial and political power
> > these days. As a language it sucks. No one can pronounce the
> > English r, not even all native speakers. Its spelling is a joke
> > that not even the French can fathom. And the insanity of what
> > passes for its grammar is legendary.
> >
> > OK, I guess I've insulted most everyone now. Time to shut up.

Chauvinism aside (that's my French reference for the day) both Modern
English and Modern French are blends of Romantic and Germanic
languages, with a sizable shot of Celtic remnants. The dominance of
English on the internet and elsewhere is not based on  any inherent
virtue but on the need for a common language, any common language.
The internet grew out of Arpanet, which involved the U.S. Defense
Department and some U.S. universities, and the habit of using English
as the Lingua Franca stuck.

They tell the story about ancient Ireland where two bards of high
repute were to engage in a contest to see which was greater. Hundreds
flocked to hear this classic confrontation, only to discover that the
contest was conducted in a language that only bards understood.

And during the height of the Cold War and the space race when a
diplomat was asked what language the first men on the moon would speak,
he replied diplomatically "Broken English".  Since both Soviet and
American space programs depended on imported German scientists the
prediction was guaranteed to be accurate.

Those of us who are English monoglots are grateful if posts in other
languages are translated for us, so that we can benefit from the
exchange of information. That said, there is perhaps less here than
meets the eye about this issue. It is what it is.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: