[scribus] Using BBS instead

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Sun Feb 27 00:24:55 CET 2011

On 2/24/2011 10:18 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>> Whilst in theory that is true, in practise (certainly for me) it is not. A
>> forum is something I will use to ask a question if I can't find the information
>> somewhere else and there isn't the option to join a mailing list to ask.
>
> Well, of course you can use a wrench to hammer a nail, but is it the right tool?
>
> The point is that neither the forum nor the mailing list are there for
> your ease. They are there for all the members.
>
> If you just pop in when you need an answer you are not "giving back"
> to the community. You are just using it as a "free support".
>
> When your first post to a forum or mailing list is a question, I think
> it's bad netiquette.
>
> /Peter

Peter,

I can appreciate the sentiment you are echoing. In the
Delphi forums, at least one of the most frequent guardian
angels (in a very real sense) that is very astute and very
frequent with helpful solutions has in his signature
something to the extent "Don't be a vampire" etc., etc.,
suggesting that people first try using searches to get their
answers.

That would definitely be "proper netiquette."

However, I would expect that in the vast majority of
instances, when a new member or visitor begins using
software that they are unfamiliar with, they would hardly be
capable of first lurking in wait to offer help with
something they are just starting out with.

Barry McKenna