[scribus] SSL support for Scribus websites

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Feb 23 19:34:23 CET 2011

** O. Moskalenko <malex at scribus.info> [2011-02-23 18:01]:
> All scribus websites can be accessed through https: links now. Our current
> certificate is self-signed, so there will be a warning presented by your
> browser that you have to override. Until we can get a proper certificate this
> will at least let security-conscious people avoid sending their bugs., wiki.
> or forums. passwords through the big bad Internet in the clear.
** end quote [O. Moskalenko]

So long as you only need a single level of domain (i.e. bugs.scribus.info or
wiki.scribus.info and not more.bugs.scribus.info) take a look at StartCom
(startssl.com). They have the advantage of already being in most browsers,
which CA Cert aren't - or weren't last time I checked. They do free
certificates, although you do have to renew yearly, which is probably helpful
for project funds :)

I tend to use StartCom for external sites and CA Cert for internal intranet
ones, where I need multiple sub domains (i.e. wiki.home.aptanet.com, etc.) and
have full control over installing the root authority in the client browser.