[scribus] Using BBS instead

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Feb 23 19:22:32 CET 2011

** O. Moskalenko <malex at scribus.info> [2011-02-23 17:59]:
> * Stephen Carboni <stephen.entropy at gmail.com> [2011-02-22 14:04:29 +0200]:
> > Instead of using a mailing list for scribus support, how about we use
> > a forum/BBS?
> >
> > I find the mailing list to archaic and clunky.
> >
> > Forums are much easier to use for the end user who has problems they
> > want to resolve.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Let's do an experiment. Thanks to the generosity of Eirik Overby of the
> Modirum MDPay/Anduin.net the Scribus Team obtained resources to set up a test
> forum. If you are interested in trying out a forum as another means of
> interaction within the greater Scribus Community please go to
> http://forums.scribus.net, register, and have fun. Some work is still being
> done on the forum software to make it more spambot-proof, but other than that
> the boards are up, the engine is running, the parking brake is off. Get in and
> steer. Please contact the main forum administrative account 'scribus' if you
> are willing to moderate as the Scribus Team has no extra time for that, though
> several team members have been registered there already to have team presence
> in the forums. Hopefully, the initial skeleton of the boards/forums we put in
> is a good starting point.
** end quote [O. Moskalenko]

I've come to this thread a little late, and I'm not a massive poster to this
list, mainly a lurker - so feel free to ignore me :)

For my personaly usage I find that I only use forums when there is no
alternative, and for Linux software I will generally ask on my local LUG list
if there is a forum but no mailing list. I have asked a question on a forum in
the past, not been autosubcribed to the thread (or it hasn't been a feature)
and never remembered to go back to check for a reply - although I have
continued to search for a solution elsewhere! I couldn't tell you how many or
what forums I've subscribed to, but I know exactly what mailing lists I'm on.

If I do use forums I am generally only there to ask a question and get help and
do not put the time in to go back and answer questions - whereas I will always
follow a mailing list by scanning the subjects and chip in where I can help. On
that basis I would worry that the more technical users who can help would
likely be around less to answer questions.

As an extreme, and slighly old, example, I used to use a project (including
being a team member) for a while. When they closed the mailing lists and
switched to forums I never joined the forums. There were other factors
involved, but I did find myself using a fork of the project that did use lists
until my requirements changed and I now don't use either.

It is all down to personal preference, and I do accept that forums are
preferred by new users, but they do seem to be more suited to companies (or
projects) where there are dedicated people to do 'customer support' and keep an
eye on what is going on and actively help people with problems.