[scribus] READING FILE

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Wed Feb 23 15:31:36 CET 2011

From: donal boland [mailto:donaboland at eircom.net]

>> If I produce a document in Scribus and send it to a publisher who
>> uses a standard DTP software package, will he be able to read it
>> Is Scribus compatible with other DTP software packages

Unless the publisher has a copy of scribus (of the same or later version as you used to prepare the file), then no, they will not be able to read the file. But that's not really a problem because what you should probably send to the publisher is a finished PDF file, which any publisher SHOULD be able to read without any trouble. Depending on what you are doing and on the publisher, there may be requirements in terms of PDF version, color management, etc. but the point is the same. You publisher wants a PDF. Scribus produces PDF. No problem.

If they publisher wants the "raw" source file(s), that implies they will be doing your layout for you. In that case, they will use what they choose to use. It could be scribus, of course, but it likely won't be.

--
Henry