[scribus] Need Arial, Times New Roman Font "equivalents" to look/print nice in PDF

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 21:40:11 CET 2011

On 02/21/2011 12:43 PM, drw forums wrote:
> New to Scribus.
>
> Using 1.3.3.14 on Windows XP-Pro.
>
> Producing a 48 page magazine and am having
> trouble when producing a PDF.
>
> The small 7 pt Arial fonts look bad.
>
> Currently, I am only using Times New Roman
> and Arial TT.
>
> Could someone point me to equivalent fonts that will
> look nice at any size and print well in a PDF?
>
> Also, if there is a USENET group or equivalent
> for Scibus, please let me know.
> Thanks you for any help you may be able to provide.

For a lot of uses, I think the DejaVu fonts are pretty good, and you
have regular and condensed versions.

I'm not so fond of Liberation fonts Serif or Sans. You might check out
Fontin and Fontin Sans, both available for free. They have a bit of a
different look but are pleasing and easy to read (the most important
criteria in my view).

Greg