[scribus] 1.4.0 RC1

Peter Linnell mrdocs at scribus.info
Sat Feb 19 15:21:58 CET 2011

On 02/19/2011 03:18 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 19 February 2011 08:51:18 Peter Linnell wrote:
>> On 02/19/2011 06:09 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:05:03 -0800
>>>
>>> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>>> I just verified that 1.4.0 RC1 is not yet in Fedora
>>> updates-testing. Has it not been sent to them yet? Or have the
>>> fine folks at Fedora lost the file?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You could use my Fedora 14 rpms:
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_14/x8
>> 6_64/
>>
>> The only thing to pay attention to is you may also need to install
>> libpodofo and podofo, as well.
>>
>> Please report back here if you have issues with the package.
>>
>> I have for a long time packaged rpms for each release for the
>> latest Fedora and Mandriva releases, as well as all supported
>> versions of openSUSE and Suse Enterprise Linux
>>
>>  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter

> All Linux users have the option of downloading the source code via
> svn, compiling Scribus, and installing it. The Wiki gives adequate
> instructions. That frees you from waiting on someone to put together a
> deb or rpm package. You will first need to download and install the gcc
> compiler. I already to this each night for the 1.5.0 version.  Today I
> will set it up for 1.4.0 as well.
>
> John Culleton
> Create Book Covers with Scribus:
> http://www.booklocker.com/p/books/4055.html
> Typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com
> book sales http://wexfordpress.net
> Free  barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/

Correct. However, some folks like to use their native package manager
for their distribution. Even someone like me who has all the development
tools needed, I generally prefer even myself to use packages. The
exceptions for me are Scribus and Fontmatrix.

Moreover, not everyone has the knowledge of diagnosing failed compiles.
Often the error messages are not exactly friendly to someone new to Linux..

As for Scribus, I think the team as a whole does a really good job of
releasing packages for all the platforms in a timely manner. Most of the
time the MacOSX, Windows, Debian/Ubuntu and rpms are all ready at
release time. Os/2 usually does not lag too often either. (Thanks Paul!)

Peter