[scribus] GSoC2011

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 14:04:21 CET 2011

2011/2/11 Peter Linnell <mrdocs at scribus.info>

> On 02/11/2011 04:52 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> > Any interest here ?
> >
> > Louis
> >
> > 2011/2/9 Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at gmail.com>
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Google announced GSoC2011
> >>
> >> http://code.google.com/intl/en/soc/
> >>
> >> We also have OIF as a sponsor for 2011 and we must define the work we
> want
> >> and we can accomplish.
> >>
> >> I think we have two great occasions of enlarging our code-power.
> >>
> >> Next LGM will be a first real attempt to connect the Graphic Art
> Industry
> >> and F/LOSS.
> >>
> >> Scribus is at the heart of that. Graphic design needs typography. So I
> >> guess we have plenty of work ahead! :)
> >>
> >> I already take care of OIF but we need a dev for GSoC at least for the
> >> mentor part. Who wants to handle the task?
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Louis
> >>

> We have been discussing this amongst ourselves and Alex is starting to
> outline the plan and wish list for projects. Stay tuned. :)

A few ideas.

Concentrate on *text* handling (the weakest link in the chain and the most
blocking issues).

   1. First line indent must be available in the PP (and everything that's
   available in the Styles must be in the PP too)
   2. PP and Styles sorted out (see above)
   3. Undo/Redo.
   4. Filters to clean-up text at Get Text.
   5. Style Manager (If it was me, I would start from scratch. Just a
   suggestion. The bugtracker is full of nice ideas about the SM)
   6. Improve Hyphenation Settings (this could also be discussed with many
   of the apps using text, right?) — include a hyphenation exception list (from
   a text file, not like it is now — remember, too many clicks...)
   7. Allow thin space in Short Words (or by any other automated way): a
   must in French typography and a blocking issue for pros.
   8. Get the OTF capabilities on-board (I believe this is in the hands of
   Pierre at present time, right?)

Make the text runaround image easier than the actual way (text again)

Clean-up the UI so we have less clics and overall a much smoother workspace.

Add whatever we miss in the interactive PDF (this is a very powerful tool)

Make the Render Frame work on OS X (if it does, make it work for everyone,
it never worked for me on any machine)

Add export to PDF/X-1a (de facto standard in Norh America)

I won't elaborate here but all in all if Text was given the finishing touch,
we'd have a great application in my view. We're not far from getting in the
area of the pros.

Cheers!

Louis