[scribus] Importing pdf

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Tue Feb 8 15:43:16 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi john,
>

>   I can't speak for the other John, but I have a document that was
>> prepared in pdftex. Because it contains color I need it in pdf x/1-
>> a:2001 format. Otherwise it is not acceptable to the printer, LSI. I
>> have had good luck with covers for LSI using Scribus 1.5.0. But this
>> booklet has a color interior as well.
>>
>> It looks like I will have to break the pages apart and import them one
>> by one.
>>
>> Bummer.
>>

> so, you're using scribus as a pdf ?? to pdf x/1a converter?
>
> as i said: doable, but not really the purpose of scribus...

This may be confusing since both of us are named John.

My task is to import a pdf file with no particular uniqueness except that it
is usually about 20 pages long.  Our magazine ranges from 60 - 80 pages.
The primary feature of our magazine is a 20 page, 3 columns per page, index
created from a database before each publishing period.  This index is then
delivered to me as a single pdf file.

Because the pages I must import are delivered to me as a multi-page pdf
file, the only way I've found to import it is to break it up into individual
pages.  I use *pdftk* to split the large file into multiple files, one page
per file.  Then I must set each pdf/page into an image box which covers the
entire page, almost.  Page numbers are supplied by my right and left master
pages.  It works fine but is a bit tedious.  The result is 20 pages near the
center of the magazine.

Pdf output, on the other hand, doesn't require the same specification at
John Culleton's output does.  My printer is much less picky, I'd say.  I
generally use the pdf 1.4 format for my pdf output.

Scribus works great to compose the remaining 40 - 60 pages in addition to
the index that I import.  However, if there is some method to paginating the
supplied pdf file upon importing it into Scribus, I'd be willing to try it.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
editor at sera.org