[scribus] Why does a "space" and "left parentheses" cause text to justify?

Garry Robbins garry.robbins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 01:06:20 CET 2011

Thank you, Gregory.

I wasn't sure if this was some sort of functionality that I hadn't
encountered before, so I didn't overload the initial question.

As it turns out, it was nothing to do with Scribus.  I downloaded some Goudy
fonts from fontyukle and the one I chose for my headings (
Goudy-Old-Style-Normal-Italic<http://www.fontyukle.net/en/DownLoad-Goudy-Old-Style-Normal-Italic+Regular.ttf>,
regular weight) appears to have an error in the font metrics for the "("
character.  I can reproduce the exact problem in OpenOffice.

I had a first line indent of -10mm, left indent of 20mm, 0 right indent,
fixed linespacing, 16pt, no optical margins, everything else plain jane.

On a humbling note, I had been trying to figure out what was going on for
quite a while, when my wife came in the room.  I told her what problem I was
having, and she said "Oh, that happens to me at work. Try a different
font.".  I guess I won't tease her about the three icons on her desktop
(much) any more.

Cheers!