[scribus] Text Wrap Around SVG Group

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Tue Aug 30 00:40:59 UTC 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 1:18 PM, john Culleton wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:23:02 -0600
> Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com> wrote:
>
>> After doing some research on Google as to why I cannot wrap text in
>> my text frame around an imported SVG (short answer is - you can't), I
>> naturally have to wonder why not?  If all the polygons in an imported
>> SVG are in a group, and that group has a rectangular extent, why can
>> it not be used for wrapping text?  Also, why are contour lines not
>> available on groups, just frames?  It seems hokey that I should have
>> to ungroup the imported SVG (not good when it contains dozens of
>> polygons), or superimpose a "dummy" frame over the group, simply for
>> wrapping text.  The naive approach would be simply select the group,
>> go to the Group tab in PP, and select a text wrap option under Shape
>> (if it wasn't grayed out).
>>
>> Mike
>>

> You can always overlay your svg rectangle with a transparent
> rectangle  or graphics frame of similar dimensions. Takes about
> 10 seconds.

Yes, that's what I resorted to doing (actually took about 30 seconds to get it all configured).  But that causes IMO an unnecessary extra object on the page.  If an item group included a contour path, then text could wrap around that just as easily as any other shape, without adding any additional objects to a page.