[scribus] PDF scrincking script

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 15:56:37 UTC 2011

On 08/23/2011 10:52 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi yves,
>

>> I ran the script to reduce the size of PDFs:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Reduce_the_size_of_Scribus_generated_PDFs
>>
>> Saving it first as a .py file and it returned a window error (Big Boo
>> Boo: Something real bad has gone wrong! Sorry). No more explaination.
>> This is surprising because others used it succesfully and I nead it
>> to shrink PDFs.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to built it into Scribus, accessible
>> from the menus. This would be a very accessible way.
>
> it's a planned for this fall.
>
> you will probably still have to install ghostscript, though...

It would be nice if someone could explain the differences in a standard
PDF generated by Scribus and the PDF that comes about from use of the
script. There obviously must be data which is lost in the process.

I was just thinking the other day that when one chooses output for
Screen/Web, this should also produce a smaller PDF, more or less by
definition, or at least by default.

Greg