[scribus] reducing PDF size

Christopher A. Zaino, PT, PhD cazaino at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:41:24 UTC 2011

I recently asked this question. I also am learning how to do the script.
a.l.e.'s response helps me to understand more.

I have found a not so elegant work around on the size.
1.) I found out that GIMP 2.6 will allow you to import PDF file pages.
So I imported the two pages of my newsletter into GIMP (a free image
manipulation program - for Linux or windows (Mac too?). I then saved the
images.
2.) Then I opened LIbreoffice (a free office production suite for Linux,
windows and Mac). I imported the images. Enlarged them to the full page
size.
3.) exported the file to PDF via Libreoffice (just a click of a button
to export to PDF) and the file was less than 1 mb.

Looking at the resulting PDF file, it appeared of similar quality as the
original Scribus PDF file with less than 1/19th the size.

I think this is possible until I better learn the script and the like.

Thanks everybody for your input and advice.

Chris

Christopher A. Zaino, PT, PhD
CP Sapling - Serving the needs of families with children with Disabilities
Websites:  www.cpxsm.org (Chinese and English)
            http://globalhz.org/ASIA_CP.html
Online Donations: www.razoo.com/story/Cp-Sapling-2