[scribus] Lack of Style Overrides

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:39:32 UTC 2011

2011/8/17 Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com>

> On Aug 17, 2011, at 8:07 AM, john at wexfordpress.com wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:44:40 -0600
> > Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I really, really do not not like how only some (but not all) of a
> >> paragraph's style settings can be overridden in the Properties
> >> window.  This means that each and every time I want to modify the
> >> left indent, right indent, tab settings, etc for a specific
> >> paragraph, I need to declare another damned style.  Why can't each
> >> setting in a paragraph's style have a complimentary override option
> >> outside the context of the Styles manager?  What's with this apparent
> >> love affair with styles?  I should have the freedom to format my text
> >> however I please, either with or without a style.  In my opinion, a
> >> style should only need to be defined when a particular text style is
> >> to be repeated in a document.  Otherwise, just format the single
> >> occurrence manually.  (Unless you're in Scribus, then forget it and
> >> resort to defining yet another bloody style...) ___ Scribus Mailing
> >> List: scribus at lists.scribus.net Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> >> http://wiki.scribus.net http://forums.scribus.net
> >
> > (Almost) anything you can do with styles can be done on individual
> > paragraphs via the Story Editor.  Just right click on the text frame
> > and select "Edit Text."
>
> Unless I'm blatantly missing something, there is no way to define left
> indent, right indent, hanging indent, space before a paragraph, space after
> a paragraph, and text baseline offset from within Story Editor (excluding
> styles, which is the whole point).  Furthermore, since these settings
> directly impact the placement of characters in a frame, I should want to see
> changes to their values immediately (for tuning) rather than manually
> refresh the contents of a frame from the Story Editor.  Don't get me wrong -
> styles are great and I do use them.  But there are times when I want to
> deviate a specific layout feature just once in a document, and it's
> ridiculous to require defining a whole new style just for that one
> customization.

Absolutely.

There is *no* need to further explain why it is needed that *all* the
settings available for Styles be available in the Properties Palette as
well. We have a bug filed for this for *years* and it is acknowledged by the
team of developers. All we are missing now is workforce and time to address
this bug and close it.

Louis