[scribus] Saving as PDF with a smaller file size

Christopher A. Zaino, PT, PhD cazaino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:54:22 UTC 2011

I am using Scribus 1.4.0.r5 on linux mint 10. I have a two page
newsletter with 2 small pictures, some graphic shapes, some PDF
hyperlinks, 5 layers. When I export this newsletter to a PDF format, it
is quite large (19 mb). This is a problem because I need to email this
newsletter to a group of people. So I need a smaller file size.

I have tried saving in various ways - PDF 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, I have changed
the resolution of the pictures to 100, 125, 150 dpi (originally it was
300 dpi) and it always saves at the same 19 mb. However, twice I have
tried something and it will save at 1.3 mb or 1.8 mb, but when I try it
again using the same (?) settings, it is back to 19 mb.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to save the file to PDF with a
smaller size - any settings I should be aware of or should I decrease
the number of layers. I like the layers because I can move about the
document easier with the layers - I have text on one layer, graphics on
another, pictures on another.....

Also, any clue as to why I would get one size file most of the time and
then have a drastically smaller file, but can't duplicate it within
seconds of saving the first (smaller file)?

thanks

Chris

Christopher A. Zaino, PT, PhD
CP Sapling - Serving the needs of families with children with Disabilities
Websites:  www.cpxsm.org (Chinese and English)
            http://globalhz.org/ASIA_CP.html
Online Donations: www.razoo.com/story/Cp-Sapling-2