[scribus] Bleeds and Crop Marks

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Thu Aug 11 07:48:47 UTC 2011

> FWIW, I edit a 60 - 80 page magazine with Scribus that is saddle stitched so
> the cover requires bleeds on the top and bottom edges, plus the outside
> edge, away from the binding.  The binding side of the cover does not require
> a bleed since the front and back covers butt up to one another along the
> binding edge.  However, that is just my situation.  Yours may differ as I
> know nothing about the size of your mag nor its binding.

When I did a magazine with bleed I just did what the printer told me:
3 mm bleed on all sides.

When they sent proofs of the imposed magazine their impositioning
software had taken care of removing the "inside" bleed.

A PDF contains several "boxes" indicating bleed, trim etc and if those
boxes are correctly set then everything will usually work as expected.
And as far as I know Scribus sets them correctly.

http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/page_boxes

/Peter