[scribus] Quotes -- or, about typographical conventions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 16:15:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:27:35 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>BTW the typeset ellipsis should be added to the list of glyphs
>selectable by menu in the Story Editor. I would place it at the
>bottom of the list because it is not used that often.

One of my pet peeves is the overuse of the ellipsis to replace the
period, common on the internet. Traditionally it is to be used to
indicated deleted portions of a citation, or to end an interrupted or
incomplete sentence, as where a thought was not completed. The latter
is frequent in in fiction, commonly in dialog. When I read postings
on the internet it often seems that the writer is incapable of a
complete thought.

The use of the ellipsis to replace the period probably started on the
internet, but is spreading. I find it now in student papers at the
university. I even found an instance of it in Pittman, Schäfer, et
al. (2009), although I can't give a page number because I failed to
mark it in my copy.