[scribus] Quotes.

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Mon Aug 8 12:37:18 UTC 2011

> Specifically, I understand that some people may want their documents to stick to "historic" typography rules and the need for Scribus to support such rules.

The main reason to stick to typograhic rules is easy: They are there
for a reason.

The "historic" typography rules were not set up by some dictator, they
evolved together with the printing and their core purpose IS to make
the text easy to read and comprehend.

Some people might oppose that a text thas is breaking the typograhic
rules is as easy to read as a text that follows the rules. But if you
let 100 persons read both texts you will get a statistically
significant result showing the truth.

That a text "looks good" doesn't mean it is easy to read. That a text
is easy to comprehend does not mean it is easy to read fast.
Typography aims to target all the points: legibility, reading speed,
comprehension etc. Typograhy is like grammar. Sure, you can beak it,
but following it makes the text a lot "better".

/Peter