[scribus] Quotes -- or, about typographical conventions

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Mon Aug 8 10:59:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Meho R. <mehor at gmx.com> wrote:

> As for quotes, John hasn't answered my question: aren't straight quotation
> marks considered an error in english? I've witnessed a lot of typographical
> discussions among professional book designers and typesetters, but I've
> never seen a single one of them who's been using straight quotes. So, I'm
> curious, why would John choose them over the common curly quotes?
>
> Assuming, as I would prefer not to have to do, the John you refer to is me,
my answer is going to be a qualified one.  Straight quotes are NOT
considered an error in English in the USA.  In typography, straight quotes
are considered improper by traditional typography standards, however, in
many other forms of composition, they are definitely NOT considered an error
or improper, but, rather are accepted as proper notation.  My apologies for
failing to answer your question.  I took is as rhetorical rather than a
request for information.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*