[scribus] sartalics-OT

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Aug 6 12:39:15 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 05, 2011 11:04:16 pm Gregory Pittman wrote:
> I'm not sure the 'sartalics font' concept will catch on, but the
> low-tech video is interesting.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/sarcasm-font-
_n_919845.html

> Greg

I just keep in mind the Greek root that underlies the word sarcasm.
It means "tear the flesh." Or per my old dictionary "A cutting or
comtemptuous remark." Irony, the "use of words to express the
opposite of what one really means" is less offensive. The author Rev.
Andrew Greeley often speaks of "having several ironies in the fire."

Ironical speech is often mislabeled as sarcasm. I think that is the
case here. Of course a statement can be both at the same time. But
labeling a passage as "cutting or contemptuous" hardly takes the
sting out of the words.
--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: http://www.deathworeblack.com/