[scribus] subsetting / outlining

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Tue Aug 2 09:56:29 UTC 2011

Le 02/08/2011 11:44, JLuc a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I understand 'outlining' as transforming a 'character and font' data
> into a 'vector graph' data, thus logicaly loosing searchable data.
>
> I have read that 'subsetting' is what really happens now when 'outlining' is choosen.
> Is this true ?
This matter remains...

> And my main question is : what is 'subsetting' ?
This list is very responsive as with technical DTP issues, that's great but i can search aswell :-) so I found
http://desktoppub.about.com/od/pdf/f/subsetfonts.htm about Subsetting Fonts :

If you subset the font, the person who receives your PDF would need to have your same font in order to make changes to
your PDF. The file size of the PDF would also be smaller because you are embedding only part of a font. When you subset
a font, you usually just embed the characters you are using (obviously it depends on how you are subsetting your font).
That's why somebody on another computer would have to have your same font in order to make changes.

Now I guess these subseted font documents are still searcheable.

JLuc