[scribus] [Scribus] newline issue in pdf fields

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sat Apr 30 23:34:45 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, 11:39:01 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> being a happy camper with scribus since quite some time, I've created
> some PDF forms with Scribus 1.3.3.4, containing some pdf fields side
> by side, preallocated with some centered text containing newlines.
> Users edit this text and print the form.
>
> After upgrading to 1.3.3.11, the newlines are replaced with '\\r' in
> the pdf export, rendering the forms unusable. Examples attached. I
> intentionally excluded the embedding of the font in order to reduce
> the pdf size significantly...
>
> While at it, is there a way to control the vertical line size of such
> text fields?

Is there some interest to fix regressions here? (At least, there wasn't
any three years ago..)

Being too tired to downgrade scribus back to 1.3.3.4  all the time in
order to maintain some pdf forms, here's another attempt to tackle the
issues:

Documents (from 1.3.3.4):
	ftp://urpla.net/transport-order-test.sla
	ftp://urpla.net/transport-order-test.pdf

This form works fine with acrobat reader, if created with 1.3.3.4, but
occasional attempts editing it with 1.3.3.12, 1.3.5*, and now 1.4.0rc3
all fail:

 - the colors are (slighly) distorted
 - the line breaks are wrong

Documents (loaded and saved with 1.4.0rc3):
	ftp://urpla.net/transport-order-test-1.4.sla
	ftp://urpla.net/transport-order-test-1.4.pdf

Users usually select a receiver from drop down, which is displayed
below, when the drop down looses focus. Then they fill some fields and
add some numbers to the "Anzahl" column.

If the sla is edited with 1.4.0rc, the thick line and the background
color changed, but this is hopefully fixable for me (At least, it looks
consistent in scribus and acrobat reader). Much more importantly, the
line break handling changed (again):
now all test fields add a newline in front of each line in the resulting
pdf (in the drop down _and_ the text fields), but OTOH, the text
including newlines is displayed just fine in scribus itself.

A minor issue is the vertical text alignment in the single line text
fields (now top, centered before).

It would be very kind, if somebody could have a look into these issues,
especially into the newline handling.

Thanks in advance,
Pete