[scribus] PDF rendering of lines (image frame)

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Apr 22 13:21:02 UTC 2011

On Friday 22 April 2011 08:11:51 S C ribus wrote:
> > hi c,

> > particular) do

> > of the

> > files from

> > likely

> > > fair enough I don't mind going through one more step
> >
> > to ensure it
> >
> > > will be printed, but this is my question, what can I
> >
> > do to ensure the
> >
> > > frame will always be displayed by any PDF viewer and
> >
> > most importantly
> >
> > > ensure my printshop will print it? I am thinking of
> >
> > creating a
> >
> > > separate object altogether, but what could I do 1) to
> >
> > do this quickly
> >
> > > or on multiple object (potentially is there a script?)
> >
> > 2) keep them
> >
> > > synched (not have to do it again if the image frame
> >
> > changes size -
> >
> > > well if I have to do it at the very end it's fine
> >
> > too)
> >
> > imo you can't be sure that you can correctly display a PDF
> > in a PDF viewer which was built with the idea that not all
> > the PDF will be shown correctly.
> >
> > in your case, though, i think you can try to upload to the
> > bug tracker the .sla and the resulting .pdf for testing: a
> > line which is 5pt thick should always be displyed.
> >
> > and for the printshop: make sure they're using acrobat (or
> > any professional pre-press tool) and you won't have any
> > problem.
> >
> > ciao
> > a.l.e
>
> Hmm do I need to upload a sla file to test:
> new document
> create imageframe, get an image
> set line to 5pt, set colour line  ?
>
> I am more looking for a workflow step which will make it
foolproof (eg if
> you look at the support of lines in inkscape when exported,
transform the
> paths into shapes). I am not into trying to blame my printshop or
scribus,
> I am just keen on making sure I provide my printshop with a pdf
where no
> ambiguity remains, even if it gives me a bit more work

> edit your options.
>
> Scribus Forums are available at http://forums.scribus.net
>
> Notice: Scribus mailing lists were migrated to a new host and
now reside at
> lists.scribus.net, so a new list address scribus at lists.scribus.net
has to
> be used.

Acrobat Reader is free. Acrobat Reader is reliable. If your lines
appear in Acrobat Reader then they are there. If they appear in AR
but don't appear in some other reader then that reader is probably
defective. There is no way you can ensure that the lines will
appear in any viewer. The only question is "will they print" and if
they show up in Acrobat Reader then they will print.

It is possible that your "Foxit" reader has a problem with layers.
Try saving your file as pdf 1.3 and see if the lines then appear.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: