[scribus] Outline

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 01:23:40 UTC 2011

On 04/17/2011 07:46 PM, Barry McKenna wrote:

> On 4/17/2011 3:34 PM, Marie and Paul Di Somma wrote:
>> On 17 Apr 2011 15:16:24 -0700, Barry McKenna wrote:
>>

>> "Actually, since there would often be more than one "object"
>>
>> in the "Document Structure" the name would be more appropriately
>> "Document
>> Objects Structure.""
>>

>> I suggest "Document objects structure" is a noun string.
>>
>> Document structure I understand.
>>
>> Document Objects
>>
>> I understand.
>>
>> But "Document Objects Structure" makes no sense to me.
>>

>> BTW, I come from a technical writing
>>
>> background.
>
> I see the issue of this program feature/menu item as comprised of three
> fundamental components:
>
> 1. A Document
> 2. Components that are used to build the document, which I have
> suggested can be heuristically aided by the concept of Objects which
> have properties and methods.
> 3. Accessing the program feature/menu item will result in the display of
> a dialog of the Structure of the Objects in the Document.

I think what Paul was referring to first of all is that this term is a
sequence of 3 nouns, so grammatically it's a bit clumsy.
Beyond that, throwing Objects in the middle seems unnecessary and
misleading in its own way.

Document Objects Structure would to me be referring to the structure of
the objects, i.e., the content or properties of the objects, but really
it would seem that Document Structure says enough, since the structure
of a document is its pages, master pages, and the objects on them. The
Outline function really is just a means to identify, select, and jump to
various objects.

The reason I used the word objects is that this is more inclusive than
saying frames, since there are things like lines that are not inside a
frame.

Greg