[scribus] Segmentation fault on Ubuntu 10.04

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sat Apr 9 00:59:27 CEST 2011

> Hi folks,
>
> Have compiled SVN trunk on Ubuntu 10.04, ran scribus, but got a
> "Segmentation fault".  Compiled again with debugging symbols and ran
> through
> gdb to get the following output:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /home/james/scribus_svn/bin/scribus

> 0x08c0e2e9 in _cairo_array_index (array=0x91128b4, index=0)
>     at
> /home/james/Documents/Code/scribus/svn/scribus/third_party/cairo/cairo-array.c:222
> 222    return (void *) &(*array->elements)[index *
> array->element_size];
>
> The only argument passed to cmake the first time I compiled scribus
> was:
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/james/scribus_svn , and the second
> time:
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/james/scribus_svn -DWANT_DEBUG=1
> -DWANT_CAIRO=1 . A sementation fault occured both times.
>
> Does this happen to any other Ubuntu users (or linux users)? Can
> anyone tell
> me where i've gone wrong?

I made some notes to bug 9753.
<quote>
using qtconfig-qt4, I change the Appearance to "Cleanlooks" Problem
solved. I don't think this is an Ubuntu issue
</quote>

For 1.5.0 it is early days, today I get (having built  with scripter2)
a new error message

<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
Python 2.6.6: /usr/bin/python
Sat Apr 9 08:53:20 2011

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of
function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.
 /Data/Programs/scribus1.5.0/lib/scribus-1.5.0.svn/plugins/scripter/init_scripter.py
in createMenu(mainWindow=<PyQt4.QtGui.QMainWindow object>)
   87

   88 def createMenu(mainWindow):

   89     Scripter.menu = ScripterMenu(mainWindow)

   90

   91 Scripter.connect("createMenu(QMainWindow*)", createMenu)

builtin Scripter = <mikro.ScripterImpl object>, Scripter.menu
undefined, global ScripterMenu = <class '__main__.ScripterMenu'>,
mainWindow = <PyQt4.QtGui.QMainWindow object>

At this stage I just let the eyes roll. I presume something has yet to
be added to 1.5.0.

I have yet to try it with Fedora-14 but for the time being, I will
just let it build with scripter 1

Owen