[scribus] Speeding up Scribus

Nikita Sagl nikita at nikisa.at
Thu Apr 7 14:02:15 CEST 2011

Am 2011-04-06 19:12, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 04/06/2011 11:39 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>
>> In the meantime I use tricks to get around the problem. The easiest
>> solution is to break the work up into multiple files, e.g., make each
>> chapter of a book a separate file. At the end you can export all as
>> PDFs and then combine them with PDF tools.
>>
>> Sometimes I have no choice but to keep everything in one large file. In
>> that case I open a second document of just a couple of pages to use as a
>> working document. I import all the styles from the main document, and
>> then in the main document I copy the item(s) I want to work on to the
>> Scrapbook. In the secondary document I place the item(s) from the
>> Scrapbook, finish the work on them, then reverse the process to put
>> the altered versions back in the main document.
>
> This seems to me a combination of something that is laborious, and
> also sooner or later to lead to confusion and mistakes.
>
> This is what we might consider the 2nd or 3rd level of knowledge about
> making Scribus work with you instead of against. The speed
> limitations, the size limitations are right now insurmountable.
>
> As you work with Scribus, there should be some benefit in having a
> series of documents simultaneously open, then switching from one to
> the next. In the Windows menu item, you can easily switch from one to
> the next. This does not solve the RAM issue, since all of these will
> load your graphics into RAM, but it does help the update issue with
> any document changes. It _does_ allow for copy/paste from one section
> to the next.
>
> Beyond this, some other features to become familiar with are:
>
> * the ability to import pages, master pages, colors, styles from one
> document to another, whether it's loaded or not.
I do so already.
> * the ability to copy/paste from one loaded document to another.
I did - but will have a look if I can do better.

> * using appropriate sizing/cropping of images in a document which has
> many graphics -- if you use a small portion of an image, crop it, then
> use the cropped file. If you have a huge image, scale the DPI down to
> a sensible level: 300-600 is enough for most uses. This reduces
> processing time, and the size of the ultimate PDF, as well as the
> amount of RAM needed for the Scribus doc. Learn about the settings in
> PDF Export that help with this.

I will have a special look on the size of my graphics.

> * if you have a doc with a lot of graphics, but now you're working on
> the text, shut off display of the graphics to speed up screen updates.
> (File > Document Settings > Display: uncheck Show Images) Use the
> lowest image screen resolution you need at other times.
>
> * a general rule of thumb is 20-30 pages as an upper limit for any
> current document. As it becomes bigger, break it up.
I think I can do so. Will work on max 20-30 pages and when oll is done I
can stick them together to a bigger file, which needs no more
processing. Well I actually did so.
> Scribus will work with a broad range of hardware, but expect
> performance hits when using processor speeds less than 1 GHz, single
> core vs dual or more, and RAM less than 1 GB (the more the merrier).

A dual or quad core will be my next CPU.
But before, I maybe will try to see how much faster my system and
workflow on Scribus gets by using a SSD. A lot of people report that
SSds speed up there systems a lot. And I guess prices will decrease a
lot in the near future.

> Greg

Nikita