[scribus] Fonts, worthy or not?

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 20:21:10 CEST 2011

On 4/5/2011 5:47 AM, Hirwen HARENDAL wrote:
>> (...and this doesn't even bring us up to the next task of
>> kerning, which can't be applied until each glyph at each
>> point size is hinted...)
>
> ** Not sure to understand. Kerning just rules side bearing values
> between 2 glyphs like VA or WO. Generaly I make Hint at the end
> when nothing more is needen and all changes and adjustments are made.
> Maybe I wrong here.
>
> Best
> Hirwen

Hirwen,

You may be correct about this. I've spent little time with
kerning and my educational approach to font development
involved a great deal of "banging my head against the wall"
before I figured various things out - if I actually did
figure much out.

My comment about kerning was essentially derived from what
small amount of logic I've acquired about font development:
It just seems to make sense to me that one can't really make
the best kerning decisions until you know where the glyphs
are actually positioned, which is, in one sense, part of
what hinting each glyph amounts to.

Barry McKenna