[scribus] Fonts, worthy or not?

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Mon Apr 4 21:28:54 CEST 2011

on Le 04/04/2011 20:05, Barry McKenna a écrit :
> "Hinting" is the task of analyzing each glyph at each and every point size and making sure that each *pixel* is
> pushed/aligned in exactly the *best* location in the grid of pixels that are available at each of the specific point sizes.
>
> So, that said, from the perspective of how things look on my system, I find that most of the additional fonts that
> Scribus installs, and most of the free fonts available, including the font used for the main page that Gregory offered
> to us yesterday http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Main_Page
> unusable, because they have not had any hinting applied.

Well, true, the title fonts on http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Main_Page do not look nice.
(I mean the one with css font-family : "Nimbus Sans","Nimbus Sans L","FreeSans","Liberation Sans","Dejavu Sans
Condensed",HelveticaNeue-Light,"Helvetica Neue Light",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif
with font-size: 24px;)
Both on firefox and chrome, the displayed letters have white pixels holes on the border,
and black pixels leaks on the outside.

The same font in small size (12px) looks ok.
16px is very bad,
but 20px is quite ok...

I guess this is what you mean with "bad hinting".

> I have been extremely hesitant to ask this question because I don't want it to be taken as some kind of bash about
> Scribus, because to me, Scribus is one of the most wonderful gifts I have ever received.

I understand this hesitation. A wonderful gift of yours would be not to stop after the bashing, but to give hints and
names of suitable fonts !

JLuc