[scribus] How to tell a font is print worthy?

Hirwen HARENDAL harendalh at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:26:48 CEST 2011

Hi to all

> From: peter at nermander.se

> There are so many variables to look for, don't the different sites
> offering free fonts have some kind of review system where you can get
> hints on whether a font is good or not? (The problem might be that
> people who just use the font in PowerPoint for their birthday poster
> might think the font rocks, while it lacks glyphs essential to the
> majority of the world.)

** It's always the question about free fonts and not for Scribus only. A topic existing
not so far of this one. Several problems can occur using free fonts but,
not only with, same troubles existing with some commercial ones too :-)
as many mails I received...
Anyway, fonts like junicode, SIL ones are well suited in building terms.

> Maybe that is what would be needed, a community based review system
> for free fonts? Probably needs to separate technical and readability
> issues from aesthetic issues.

** Good idea, you are right to separate font technology and "rendering"
with font DTP art use. That being said, font OS rasterizer is to considerate,
windobe not uses freetype by default ;-)
Aesthetic issues only for uses as titling effects, bodies text, kind of document,
not with a beauty notation, since what I like is not what you like... So difficult.

> I think making a complete check of a font would take many days of
> work. Just checking that all the glyphs are in the right places
> probably takes a couple of days. Then checking kerning tables and
> things like that....

** check of a complete family takes something like 15 days to 2 months,
more for a collection, but dépending of the character set range coverering the font too.
I process using Scribus and false text by langage for each style. The aim is to
see hint default on screen, side bearing adjustments and kerning. the second test
is for printing. This one is the most important, because the only way to see how fonts
work with PS interpreter to printer.
The fonts made by ADF are for publication, and for scribus (not only !), in the adobe's spirit.
When all is good with scribus, I know that could work in indesign, quark etc. :-)

>> Personally, I hate to see fonts that are difficult to read,
>> even if they are attractive. For large bodies of text, you
>> need a font that does not stand out as if it was part of the
>> information, but rather simply lets you most easily read the
>> text.

> Readability would be a man goal. I go most of the time for serifs, even for the headlines.
> But, for example, right now I'm experimenting with thin italics. It might seem weird,
> as italics are the default for emphasis for now, yet, a couple of centuries ago, italics were
> the norm to write a book. Is it good? Is it bad? I have no idea.

** Typography and DTP "art" uses rules. Maybe interesting to learn them before all.

Regards
Hirwen