[scribus] Scannig problem

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Thu Sep 30 22:10:34 CEST 2010

Ray wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Frank - BUT, as I said, my scanner is not
> recognised -
> in Ubuntu or in Mint - no lights, no noise, it's not recognised.

I have a Canon scanner that's part of my Canon MP160 all-in-one. It
works very well. However, Canon scanners are not well supported
through SANE. You can probably find a scanner driver FROM CANON that
will do the job. You may have to do some serious googling to find
where you can download this from. The site is not in North America;
it may be in Japan, but you can see the site in English. I'm not at
that computer, so I can't check for you. I installed the driver from
Canon and now the scanner works as well as it does in Windows--maybe
better.

As someone said, this is an Ubuntu issue, not a Scribus issue.
Actually, it's a Linux issue, as I suspect all distros would have
the same problem of not seeing the scanner until you install the
proprietary driver. I don't believe Scribus has an option to import
from a scanner. Gimp does, but it's available for only certain
scanners and I don't remember if Canon is one of them. It really
doesn't matter. Just use the scanner software to scan to a file and
then either edit the file in Gimp or put it into Scribus as scanned.
--Judy M.
  USA

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 6.0 SOHO