[scribus] Scribus logo

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 01:45:54 CEST 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:07:10 +1000
"Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:

>> I am starting to work on a presentation I will be giving on Scribus.
>> For some of the slides I want to use the logos here:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=scribus+logo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
>>
>> 1) I assume it legal for me to use these logos in my presentation,
>> but if I need permission from someone, please advise.
>>
>> 2) I was able to download the main logo (the round one) as a vector
>> PNG
>> file, but the rectangular ones appear to be available only as low-res
>> bitmaps, which won't look very good when displayed several meters
>> wide on a movie size screen. Are the rectangular ones available
>> somewhere as
>> vector images as well, or at least in high resolution?

>Perhaps this is what you want?
>
>http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_Desktop_Icons

Thanks for the response.

Yes, those are the same images as on the same link as above. But
they're all raster images; I was looking for a vector image so I
wouldn't have to worry about the resolution when the slides are
projected on the big screen. I did find a place at:

http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/

Where there is a bitmap-to-vector converter. I used it and it appears
to have done a decent job, although the vector result has a lot of
banding in the gradients. I also found that Inkscape can save it as a
bitmap with higher resolution. I'll try them both out later when I have
access to a projector and screen.

In the meantime I still need to figure out if I'll be infringing on
copyrights by using them in my slide show. The presentation will be to a
group of Linux users and there will be no charge. And I'll make the
presentation available as free, open source work. Also, I note that
none of the images have a (c) notice on them.

I also want to figure out what the white text is in the above images -
the white text that says "Scribus" with a thin black border. I can
easily reproduce it as vector art if I can figure out what font it is.
I can probably find the font if I spend a lot of time searching and
comparing, but if someone knows what font it is it will save me a lot
of time.