[scribus] Several Comments and queries

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 14:50:04 CEST 2010

On 09/27/2010 07:39 AM, Robin Dean (Google) wrote:
> Hi
>
> As I am new to this list I am unclear whether I should be separating
> these points:
>
> I have been using Scribus 1.3.3.14 (using Windows XP) for the last 6
> months to produce a parish magazine of about 50 to 60 pages of A5
> printed (from a PDF file) in black and white by a professional printer.
> This contains text, photographs and advertising images. I have been very
> happy with Scribus to do this work.
>
> I have the following comments/ queries:
>
> 4. I have read what is said importing images into Scribus and I have
> had a dispute with my printer about the quality of my images. Most
> of my adverts were originally in PDF format, initially I placed
> one and in the Scribus Preflight Verifier and got an amber warning
> 'Object is a placed PDF' - why is this is a problem? Also I felt
> that the resulting printed image was not brilliant, so I did a
> trial importing images in all the Scribus acceptable formats. I
> then exported the file to PDF and printed all - the best quality*
> printed *image was the GIF. My printer says this is wrong - can
> you help please?

GIFs have a lot of limitations. Currently, there is a limit to the
resolution you can get from a rasterized (bitmapped) PDF, this is the
reason for the warning. Ideally, you would want to use TIFFs or PNGs, or
some vector format like EPS or SVG to get the best resolution.

> 5. How do I persuade the text to wrap around an image as the text box
> does not allow a cut out?

This will be a property of the image frame, not the text frame
underneath. Go to Shape tab of Properties to turn on Text Flow Around
Frame. If you want some white space around the image frame, then choose
to flow around the Contour Line, then click the Edit button in
Properties > Shape to edit the Contour line so that it is bigger than
the frame.