[scribus] Differentiating colors for a map

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Mon Sep 27 10:06:01 CEST 2010

Hello,

this is not a scribus question but a "visual impact" one
& i hope to get some qualified answers on this list.

I am looking for the best continuous colour set for a map,
so that each point in the map has a different color
and coulour is evenly mapped.
That is : no colour should appear to use more place than other,
and no colour should appear to use less place than other.
The aim is to be as exact as possible when trying to find a place
on the map, having only its colour place :
the best map will be the most differentiating (discriminating).

As far as now, i use a continuous chromatic circle as a starting point
you can find it here http://passerelleco.info/IMG/disque_chromatique.jpg
I stretch it so as to fit the whole map.
It is not too bad however not as good as I wish now since :
- there seem to be some whitish areas
- colors are not evenly set :
-* too much pink, too much light blue and light green
	leading to a large not differentiating areas
-* not enough yellow, orange and red, no dark green
	leading to a loss of discrimination abilities

There might be an ideal mathematical known solution for this request,
or maybe the eye's reality is not mathematical and follow its own rules,
but then there are empirical solutions.

Could anybody share his views on this question ?
Are there known background images that fit this need ?

Thanks for your expertise,
JLuc