[scribus] Materials for a talk about Scribus

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Sep 24 00:51:27 CEST 2010

On 09/23/2010 03:30 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Yes, I eventually learned that you can convince Lyx to do it your way,
> but the whole idea of being forced to someone else's idea of good
> design practice left me cold.

Sometimes it's a good idea for a program to come with "training wheels."
  The only thing is, there needs to be a way to take them off once you
don't need them.

For me, Scribus is just about right.  I'm no expert typesetter, and I'm
nowhere near good enough to be considered a professional, but I've done
a fair amount of amateur page layout in my time and have a good idea
what needs to be done.  For me, at least, Scribus gives me the tools to
do what I want then gets out of my way and lets me do it.  Most of what
I need to do is fairly easy to figure out, and when it's not, there's
this mailing list and an IRC channel I can use.

If part of your presentation is giving reasons your audience would want
to use Scribus instead of something else (Closed Source/Expensive) this
might be a good talking point: you can be up and running in short order,
and expand your skills as you go.